Tuesday, February 3, 2009

New to Linux?

New to Linux? Some things to keep in mind:

- Google it. You're bound to run into at least one problem. And, most likely, someone else has run into the same problem. Learn how to do effective searches with Google. Quite often, a quick Google search will turn up some solutions.

- Forums. Join a Linux forum. Learn how to do searches in the forum. Don't be afraid to ask "stupid" questions. When you post a question in a forum, use descriptive titles for your forum posts, titles that give some hint about what the problem is that you're trying to solve -- forum posts with titles like "Need Help" or "Some Questions" might not get much attention from forum members.

- Give it time. Try a little patience. You didn't learn to use Windows in a day. You won't learn to use Linux in a day, either.

- Find and use resources. Besides using Google and the forums, you can find info in lots of places. Application Help modules. Manpages. User Guides. These things and more are available to you.

- The command line. A touchy subject, here. A lot of people want nothing to do with the Linux command line. Some people wish it would simply go away, and want to be able to use Linux without ever bothering with typing in a command. It's possible to use some Linux distributions without ever touching the command line, but the Linux CLI is a fabulous tool, and one of the best things about Linux. It's worth taking the time to get comfortable with.

- Compare and contrast. A common complaint about Linux is that there are too many distros to choose from. Maybe so. But trying out different distros and taking a look at the different ways people do things is a good way to learn more about Linux. The multiplicity of Linux distros can be an advantage.

- Read, read, read. There's tons of info out there; read everything that you can get your hands on.

...

It's been a little over four years now since I first took a look at Linux. I'm no Linux expert, and I'm not a computer guru. I struggled with Linux at first, and still struggle with it sometimes now! But I don't use Windows for anything these days.

I prefer Linux over Windows, but not everyone will. That's fine. You have to use what works best for you.

Quite simply, Linux gives me a nice computer system to use and all the software I need without having to pay a lot of money for any of it. I get a stable system, one that I can do what I want with. I can install it on any computer that I own without worrying about legal aspects. And I don't have to worry about viruses.

I don't think that Linux is for everyone, but anyone can use it. It won't cost you much, if anything, except for your time. I hope to add much more here about Linux, my struggles with it, things that I've found... My hope is that someone will enjoy the things I have to say here, and if anyone's interested, perhaps they'll find a few things about Linux here that will help along the way.

No comments: