Monday, March 23, 2009

Linux is Not Ready for Prime-Time

I remember sometime during the last few months of 2004, when I was first looking into using Linux. An IT guy on my job made the comment that Linux was "not ready for prime-time."

Fast-forward to the present. In the Linux Mint forums thread "Thanks Husse & others, but I am finished with mint and linux," forum member GrayWizardLinux says, "Mint is the best of the distro's but still not ready for prime time!"

First: Dude-man, pluralize the word "distro" with "distros," not "distro's."

Second: The best of all distros? Matter of opinion, of course. I use Mint; I also use Debian, Mepis, and Ubuntu. As for as I'm concerned, there is no "best" distro.

Third: Why, why, why do Linux forum members so frequently feel the need to announce to everyone that they are leaving a particular distro, or bailing on Linux and going back to Windows or to their Macs? Simply to start a flame-war? Does anyone care what GrayWizardLinux uses?

Finally: What the heck is "prime time?" Am I not in "prime-time?" Will I ever be? I mean, I've been using Linux for over five years now, and my primary computers have been free of Windows for at least half that time...

Is Linux for everyone? No. Is Windows for everyone? Is OS-X for everyone? Obviously not, or else everyone would be using Windows, or everyone would be using a Mac.

"Everyone" isn't using Windows or OS-X, though. "Everyone" isn't using Linux, either, but Linux seems to work out fine for millions of people.

I'm one of those millions.

Please spare me the tired clichés. Sorry that Linux didn't work out for you, Gray Wizard. Maybe you're just not ready for prime-time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You wrote: Does anyone care what GrayWizardLinux uses?

I care.

I care very deeply.

GrayWizardLinux is our leader. We obey his every command.

If he says that Linux is not ready for prime time, then Linux is not ready for prime time.

Bow before him, infidel!

All hail GrayWizardLinux!
--
ComputerBob