Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tiger Tamed?

Yahoo! Sports Dan Wetzel, in "No chance for Tiger and Phil at Augusta," predicts that Tiger Woods will fail to come back from 7 shots down in the Masters tomorrow.

As he points out, it could happen. The guys in front of Tiger Woods aren't big names in golf. But, as Wetzel sayd, only "twice in the 75-year history of the event has a seven-shot, 54-hole deficit been erased."

A come-back now by Woods would certainly enhance his already incredible legend.

Whatever happens, I'm getting tired of folks drooling about Tiger Woods being one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Okay, I'll admit it: My knowledge of golf consists of one fun night playing miniature golf at an amusement park, and a few times playing frisbee golf at the park.

But, I contend that frisbee golf involves more athleticism than does golf. And it might be a lot more exciting.

When I see golf on t.v., I see guys walking around, trying to hit a little ball with their clubs. Seems about as exciting as watching guys fishing for bluegills in some small lake in Northern Michigan.

There's no defense. The guys aren't out there pushing themselves to the limits of their physical endurance. As I've said to my buddies, it seems to be less of an athletic sport than Playstation.

I'll give this to Tiger Woods: He's probably the greatest golfer of all time.

But please don't try to tell me he's one of the greatest athletes of any time. I ain't buying.

No comments: