Friday, May 29, 2009

A Blind Woman and a Camera

I work in a photo lab, where I also sell digital cameras.

Yesterday, I had one of my more interesting experiences. A blind woman, accompanied by a helper and a seeing-eye dog, came in to purchase a camera for herself.

Yes, I sold a camera to a blind woman.

No kidding.

It would never have occurred to me that something like this would happen on this job.

She was fairly knowledgeable about computers, memory cards, etc. I sold her a memory card reader and a memory card and a camera bag. She bought a FujiFilm camera. She asked for recommendations, and I didn't really know what to recommend, so I told her that my first digital camera, purchased back in 2001, was a FujiFilm camera, and that it had held up so well that I purchased another one last year. She was an oriental woman and had heard of Fuji and knew that they made good cameras. I put one in her hands that was a particularly well-built camera, the FujiFilm Z30. It's sort of the latest in the same line as my original camera, with a sliding front cover that you can close when you aren't using the camera, to protect the lens. These are sturdy cameras that can survive being dropped -- I know that from experience!



I sold her the orange one.

I have no idea how she's going to manage to take good photos -- how does a blind person focus on the subject? But, she left quite happy.

No comments: