Monday, July 13, 2009

FF 3.5 in Lenny

Since it isn't in the repositories yet, here are my steps for installing Firefox 3.5 in Debian Lenny:

- Went to the Mozilla site and downloaded the firefox-3.5.tar.bz2 file.

- Used Synaptic to install bzip2.

- Copied the firefox-3.5.tar.bz2 file to my ~/ directory.

- Extracted the file there with:

$ tar xjf firefox-*.tar.bz2

- Started Firefox 3.5 with:

$ ~/firefox/firefox

This seemed to work fine, so I created a launcher for Firefox. I didn't remove Iceweasel. My bookmarks and setting from Iceweasel came over to Firefox intact.

Firefox 3.5 is noticeably faster than Iceweasel. There's a nice button on the tab bar for opening a new tab. The tool for clearing private data has changed a bit. Seeing a few other minor changes, and no problems so far with this installation method, although I don't think it's the recommended method for Debian.

No comments: