Monday, March 8, 2010

ready for pc-bsd?

Distrowatch review of PC-BSD (by Jesse Smith).

I quickly skimmed the article and went right to the "Conclusions," which ended with:

After using PC-BSD for a week, I'm very impressed with the project. With the exception of some of my notebook's hardware, I ran into no serious problems. Fortunately the live DVD makes it easy to test hardware before committing to installation. The installer is a work of art, the package manager is easy to use, even for less experienced users. The desktop is attractive, stable and responsive on my machines. The documentation, which builds on the FreeBSD Handbook, is first class and the system's defaults are reasonable. Having popular codecs and Flash pre-installed is a nice touch and makes PC-BSD ready-to-go straight out of the box. In my opinion, this operating system isn't quite as user-friendly as Mandriva Linux or Linux Mint, but it's not far behind and, on my hardware, it performs faster. In my eyes, PC-BSD is ready for The Desktop.

Sounds nice, but again, we're talking about a review by someone who uses the system for only a week... But it's a good review, and Smith tried it out on a desktop machine, on a notebook, and in a virtual environment.

Something to keep in mind for you Linux users who don't have anything better to do and might want to give BSD a try!

No comments: