Monday, June 28, 2010

replay

Because of that no-hitter that was taken away from Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga and some of the mistakes at the World Cup, I'm having to reconsider my stance against video replay. My feeling at the moment is that the refs and umps are human and they're going to make mistakes. Then they're gonna feel awful about it later; or they're gonna be put on the hot seat about it, and in cases like World Cup refs, their lives or their families lives could be put in danger because of mistakes made in the games.

So, maybe it's time to give them some help from technology.

For soccer, I'm just not sure how you implement it, and what affect it would have on the game. The kind of waiting that you have to do for NFL instant replay seem unacceptable for soccer. So, I don't know.

My point of view all along has been, "If the ref or ump makes a bad call, you just go on to the next play, go on to the next game, deal with it. It's part of the game, like a bad bounce is part of the game. Quit crying about it, it's only a game, not life or death."

I still feel that way, but other people take these games too seriously sometimes. Because of that, I think that instant replay should be considered.

No comments: