Saturday, July 31, 2010

squeeze

Back to Debian! I added Debian Squeeze to my multi-boot set-up.

This wasn't the first time I've installed Debian -- I had great runs with Etch and Lenny -- but after recently going through quick, easy installations of Ubuntu Lucid and Mint Isadora, I was a bit put off by the long, involved Debian installation process.

Also, I had a few problems with it once it was installed. I guess you can't count on everything being set up perfectly for you out-of-the-box when you're talking about Debian.

Probably the biggest problem I had was that although I'm using the GNOME version, as usual I installed a few KDE apps, like Dolphin, Konqueror, and Krusader. I found that I was unable to get root access with those file browsers. kdesu wasn't working. Apparently, this is a KDE4 issue.

Fortunately, I found a fix at the Debian User Forums. It was simply a matter of running the following command, as root:

ln -s /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu /usr/bin/kdesu


After that, getting root access via the KDE file browsers was no problem.

I'm a bit aggravated that I can't find a decent automatic wallpaper changer that will work in Squeeze's GNOME. The available ones I've tried won't let me add a directory as the source; I'd have to add photo files one-by-one. That doesn't work for me. My favorites to use in GNOME, wallpaper-tray and Wally, are not available in the Squeeze repos. I think Wally might be there when Squeeze goes into "stable." If not, at that time I may be able to get wallpaper-tray through backports. Or maybe by then I'll have found another solution.

Once installed and set up, there might not be a better distro out there than Debian. I hated going through the installation process, but I'm glad I've gotten things squared away. Looks like an excellent release! Another distro that will probably be sitting on my computer for a few years!

No comments: