Thursday, April 7, 2011

KRename in Dolphin

There are several different ways to perform a bulk rename of files in Linux, but I've been using KRename in Dolphin to do the trick.

Here, I'm using Dolphin in Debian Squeeze, even though I'm using GNOME in that distro.

First, I open up Dolphin to the correct directory and select the group of files that I want to rename. Then I right-click on the files and, from the box that pops up, click on "Rename with KRename."



KRename opens up to the Filename tab, and within that, the Simple Filename tab. The default setting under "Filename" is to use the original filename. The window at the bottom shows the original name, and what it would be renamed to.



I use the "Custom Name" option. Adding a pound sign (#) at the end instructs KRename to number the files. You can see how the filenames will look in the window at the bottom.



Click on the "Finish" button, and the operation proceeds. When it's done, click on the "Close" button.



And, there you have it! Here's how the files end up looking in Dolphin:

No comments: