Monday, March 26, 2012

updating chrome in pclos

About a month after installing Google Chrome Beta in PCLinuxOS (see "google chrome in pclos"), I noticed that no Chrome upgrades were appearing in Synaptic. It seems that unlike in Debian, Mepis, SalineOS, etc., no google-chrome.list file got installed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d when I installed Chrome in PCLOS. So there's no repo for Synaptic to check for upgrades.

I wasn't able to get any info from the PCLOS forums about this issue, but I found a rather simple solution. I just went back to the Google Chrome Beta download page and downloaded the current 32-bit Fedora/openSUSE .rpm. Then:

steve[~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost steve]# cd Downloads/
[root@localhost Downloads]# rpm -Uvh google-chrome-beta_current_i386.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:google-chrome-beta     ########################################### [100%]
[root@localhost Downloads]#

That was relatively painless because all I did was paste the rpm command into the terminal.

So I'm now at version 18.0.1025.113 beta. Problem solved.

No comments: