Friday, May 18, 2012

keep 'em separate


My first Linux installations were dual-boot set-ups with Windows XP, which is a common thing to do for folks new to Linux. There's tons of info out there on how to dual-boot Linux and Windows (for example, see How to dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7).

For me, the Linux/Windows dual-boot set-up worked out reasonably well, but after awhile I found that I was booting into Windows for only a few reasons: To use MS Access, which I needed for work at the time, and to use one other application, for my Sony mini-disks; for the kids to play their Windows-based games; and, to pull in updates and do system maintenance (like defragging).

So, I decided to keep things separate -- a Linux-only computer, and Windows XP on a separate computer, in the back room. At this point, I had changed jobs and didn't need Access anymore, so my Windows sessions became even less frequent.

I finally gave away my Windows machine back around 2008. Haven't missed it at all.

I think having Linux and Windows on separate computers, if possible, is a much better way to go than a dual-boot set-up with both on the same machine. For one thing, dual- or multi-booting only Linux systems is easier without Windows in the equation; plus, Linux takes up a lot less space on the hard drive than Windows does.

If you can take this approach, things might turn out as they did here, and maybe you'll end up finding that you don't need your Windows computer at all.

No comments: