Friday, February 8, 2013

fuduntu gets a "10"


Fuduntu (homepage: http://www.fuduntu.org/) looks like a nice distro. Dedoimedo gives the latest release a 10 out of 10 in "Fuduntu 2013.1 review - Fedora done right + awesome!"

Dedoimedo states that Fuduntu is "based on Fedora," but it was actually forked from Fedora and is now considered to be an "independent" distro. Check out its DistroWatch page: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fuduntu

For now I prefer to use Fedora itself. For one thing, I like GNOME Shell better than "classic" GNOME, and Fuduntu has decided to stick with GNOME 2. For another, Fuduntu is a fairly new distro, spun off from Fedora only a couple of years ago, and lately I prefer longer-established distros rather than their spin-offs.




As you can see in the above screenshot, Fuduntu now offers the Cairo dock by default. Doesn't appeal to me, but nobody's saying you have to use it. Linux, as always, is about choice.

I think that Dedoimedo is one of the best distro release reviewers out there, but I don't always agree with his points of view. I'm not surprised that he gave this release a "10" given his disgust with GNOME Shell; he refused to even review Fedora 18 GNOME, and dropped a laughable "2/10" rating on Fedora 18 KDE in "Fedora 18 Spherical Cow review - Bad bad bad," in large part due to his disappointment with Fedora's new Anaconda installer; Fuduntu still uses the older installer.

Fuduntu is a rolling-release distro, which could be a very nice thing. I think I'll let it mature for a year or two before giving it a run here; hopefully by then they'll have switched to something besides GNOME 2.

No comments: