Tuesday, March 19, 2013

a very good distro

While I'm looking forward to installing openSUSE 12.3 here, I haven't been in a hurry to do so, and I keep finding other things to do that seem more important at the moment. I'm typing this from openSUSE 12.2 (KDE), which has been so good that it's kinda hard to find a reason to move on to the next release.

The openSUSE releases go like this, according to their "Lifetime" page:

openSUSE releases have a lifetime of 2 releases + 2 months overlap. With a release cycle of 8 months this makes it 18 months.

So, the 12.2 release, which came out in September 2012, will be supported until around January 2014. I've got plenty of time. It might even be more intersting to ride with 12.2 until its end-of-life ("EOL"), just to see how things go; but, I'm pretty sure that I'll get bored one day and want to install the "current" release, or else I'll read about something that'll make me want to try it out.

Running openSUSE is not totally unlike running Debian Stable, in that you've got a long support cycle (although Debian's is longer -- over three years, something like that, depending on how things go), and a solid, stable system (if you run YaST to receive only security updates, mainly). Dependable; everything just works, no worries. Definitely one of the best distros I've ever run here.

No comments: