Tuesday, July 16, 2013

ms. sharp

I love it. Somebody (Sarah Sharp) calling out Linus Torvalds on his abusive, foul language. I'm following the conversation in this thread.

Sharp writes, "Violence, whether it be physical intimidation, verbal threats or verbal abuse is not acceptable.  Keep it professional on the mailing lists."

But Torvalds probably won't change, as he shows in this post:

Yes. And I do it partly (mostly) because it's who I am, and partly
because I honestly despise being subtle or "nice".

The fact is, people need to know what my position on things are. And I
can't just say "please don't do that", because people won't listen. I
say "On the internet, nobody can hear you being subtle", and I mean
it [...]

I'm with Ms. Sharp on this, 100%:

"You are in a position of power.  Stop verbally abusing your developers."

Grow up, Torvalds. You may be the "Father of Linux," but your behavior can be pathetic, childish, and shameful. Other intelligent people manage to communicate without verbal abuse and foul language. Why can't you?

No comments: