Monday, April 21, 2014

trying window maker

I've read about the Window Maker X11 window manager, and I've looked at screenshots, but I didn't think it was something I'd like. Besides, I've been very happy using Openbox and Fluxbox, and I've enjoyed using other WMs as well. But I had nothing better to do yesterday (or, nothing else that I really felt like doing!), so... I installed Window Maker in Bridge Linux, from the Arch repos.

Out of the box, Window Maker looked something like this, except for the icon down at the bottom-left, which is for a running instance of xfce4-screenshooter:



It's very important to read the Window Maker documentation over at windowmaker.org if you want to understand how to use this thing. Not surprisingly, the Arch Wiki also has good info about it (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_Maker); and, there's lots of other info out there on the internet, as well.

Window Maker comes with nice GUI tools for configuring everything -- the menu, themes, styles, and so forth -- and there are tons of dock apps that you can choose from to add.

I'm finding that I like Window Maker much more than I was expecting to. Here's how my desktop and menu looked after I set things up a bit:



Very nice WM -- definitely worth taking the time to learn to use.


No comments: