Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Ann Arbor News

The Ann Arbor News, the newspaper in my old hometown, will cease operations in July. For the story, see "Ann Arbor News to close in July."

Depressing news for me. My first "paper route" as a boy was an Ann Arbor News route. And while I get most of my news from online sources, any time a newspaper closes, it's a sad day for me.

My first reaction was to renew my home-delivery of my local paper, The Albuquerque Journal. I'm going to enjoy it while I still can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny how my very weak memory remembers you and your paper route. You had that route for quite awhile. Too bad kids today do not have those simple choices to help them develop a good work ethic. After 20 years in the fire service I, as well as many of my colleagues, have seen a steady decline in the work ethics of our new recruits. Sure, one can cut grass in the summer and shovel snow in the winter but a paper route is work everyday, 365 days a year. Commitment and responsibility are sorely missing in the youth of today and one could argue that the ol paper route was instrumental in developing such skills.