Friday, March 27, 2009

Cluttered Desktop?

I prefer to work without icons on my desktop, for the most part. Back when I used Windows XP, I'd have icons strewn across the desktop, but a friend of mine always kept hers clear so that she could more easily enjoy the wallpapers she had installed, and I came to realize that working without desktop icons could be just as efficient as working with them.

Here's a view of my KDE desktop in Mepis 8.0, showing the "MiniMenu" that I created for easy access to a few frequently-used applications.



I do allow certain icons to appear on my desktop, like when I'm creating a quick text file (I'll promptly save the file to the appropriate directory when I'm finished), or like icons for CDs or USB drives that I've inserted. But otherwise, I like to keep the desktop free and clear.

No comments: