Monday, March 2, 2009

Mepis on the Rise

Mepis has risen up to #6 on DistroWatch's list of Linux distros (a list that's based on page-hit rankings over the past 30 days). Nice to see, to whatever degree that the list indicates a distro's popularity.

A fairly even review of Mepis at Distrowatch: First look at SimplyMEPIS 8.0.

Another review, done by long-time Mepis user, Pastor Ron: Simply Mepis 8 is Finally Here.

I haven't tried Mepis 8 yet -- planning to install it sometime this week -- but I've gone through several Mepis versions, going back to 3.4-2 RC1. Warren Woodford helped pioneer the use of live/install CDs for use in Linux, and has consistently put out one of the more solid, easy-to-use Linux distros. Among the distros that aren't so difficult for folks new to Linux, I think that Mepis is among the best, rivalled by only a few, like Linux Mint and PCLinuxOS. I also think that Mepis compares well to distros that appeal to more experiences users, like Debian (which Mepis is based on and closely linked to). I have no doubt that this version of Mepis will turn out to be another fine system on my machines, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this distro to anyone.

MepisLovers forums: http://mepislovers.org/forums/index.php

Mepis Community Site: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/

No comments: