Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mepis Gets Reviewed

LinuxPlanet recently ran a very positive review of Mepis 8.0 -- Before Ubuntu Was SimplyMepis: A Long-Term Review.

Mepis is overshadowed by the more popular distros like Fedora, Ubuntu, and SUSE, but this Debian-based, KDE distro really takes a backseat to none. I've been using it for over three years as my primary Linux system.

The reviewer's comments about Mepis 8.0 ring true here; the only thing that I'd add is that Mepis 8 shipped with a problem for dial-up users, one that I had not seen in previous releases. It seems that when you're using kppp for your dial-up connection, Mepis 8 will freeze up when you disconnect from the internet. While the problem has not been fixed yet, I've been able to get around it by installing gnome-ppp and using that instead of kppp.

Mepis is generally much like Debian Stable in terms of being solid and dependable. It uses the Debian Stable repositories, along with Mepis repos. I also run Debian Lenny, and Mepis is like an easy-to-install version of Debian, with a few handy Mepis tools thrown in. I don't see much difference between the two distros, once installed and configured. And the MepisLovers forums have a reputation of being top-of-the-line in the Linux world, with a friendly, knowledgeable, no-nonsense membership.

No comments: