Friday, May 29, 2009

My "ComputerLog"

When it comes to working with computers, I'm the type that needs to write everything down. At work, I keep a journal of everything that I do on the computers, and I find myself referring to these notes over and over again.

At home, I started doing the same thing several years ago. I had a notebook where I tried to write down anything important that I was doing on my computers. I ended up copying everything into a Word document. Later, I started using OpenOffice for my word processing, and these journals evolved into a series of "ComputerLog" documents; I start a new one each year.

These documents are tremendously important to me, especially ever since I started using Linux, and I refer back to them all the time. I typically use OpenOffice's Find & Replace function to search out topics that I need to read about, or to see what steps I've taken in the past to accomplish something.

Thus, my current document is called ComputerLog2009.odt.

I don't know how other folks keep everything straight, but I highly recommend this or a some similar approach to anyone who uses a computer. Writing everything down and keeping good notes makes life with computers much easier.

No comments: