Wednesday, April 7, 2010

BeginLinux and a short Mepis 8.5 review

Found a Linux website that I hadn't seen before: BeginLinux.com.

It's obviously a website to help folks who are new to Linux. There's quite a lot of info at this site. Looks like a very good website.

I stumbled upon this site because of a review there about Mepis 8.5.

OK, generally I don't care much for distro reviews where the reviewer fires up a distro and spends only a short amount of time checking it out. If you want to really help me, spend about a year with it and then tell me about your experiences.

But this review is even more shallow than most. It provides only a tiny view of what the Mepis 8.5.01 is like, and focuses mainly on "visual appearance." (And, as any Linux user worth her/his salt knows, a distro's default appearance is one of the first things you're gonna want to change. It's half the fun of doing a new Linux installation!)

Still, it isn't a bad review, and I'm always glad to see folks talking about Mepis!

No comments: