Wednesday, December 22, 2010

MultiSystem

For the first time, I created a bootable Linux USB flash drive.  I used the MultiSystem application (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/multiboot-create-a-multiboot-usb-from-linux/) with Ubuntu Lucid to add a couple of distro's live CD sessions to a 4 GB flash drive.

I had to go into my BIOS and change the boot order, and I after doing that I was able to boot into live sessions of Linux Mint Debian and Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick).

Works good; the systems run much faster than from a live CD, and being able to put more than one on a flash drive is convenient.

I would use a larger flash drive (maybe 16 GB) for an actual installation, or to run a persistent mode; and, ultimately, it's cheaper to use CDs for live CD sessions than it is to use flash drives, although the prices of the latter continue to drop.

No comments: