Saturday, February 18, 2012

sid/semplice

My "experiment" with Semplice Linux has me looking a lot more closely at the whole Debian Unstable (Sid) concept. I'm learning some things, but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep things running. As I've mentioned, Semplice uses the "Unstable" repos.

Check out this page: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianUnstable

That page could scare anyone away from using Debian Unstable. Right after reading it, I installed apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges in Semplice. I also visited the Debian Weather page.

Here's a good piece of info I found at the wiki page mentioned above:

How do I backport a sid package to testing or stable?

Install the Debian source (and the development tools, especially debhelper, devscripts, and build-essential), and then build the package.

Step by step:

add a deb-src line for sid to your sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get build-dep PACKAGE_NAME
apt-get -b source PACKAGE_NAME

The resulting debs should be in the current directory and can be installed with dpkg -i the.deb.

That'll probably come in handy.

No comments: