Sunday, April 15, 2012

considering bodhi

I keep reading wonderful things about a fairly new distro, Bodhi Linux. Bodhi comes with the Enlightenment (E17) desktop; it's based on Ubuntu LTS, so there's no re-install necessary for at least two years. Blogger V.T. Eric Layton, a respected poster over at the Bruno's All Things Linux forums, seemed quite impressed by it (see: "Bodhi Linux -- It's About Time").

Another well-known Linux veteran, Carla Schroder, wrote: "Bodhi Linux is gorgeous, functional, and very customizable. It just so happens that's what grumpy old Linux nerds like me think Linux is always supposed to be." Check out her recent article, "Bodhi Linux, the Beautiful Configurable Lightweight Linux."

Bodhi's DistroWatch page says:

The default Bodhi system is light -- the only pre-installed applications are Midori, LXTerminal, PCManFM, Leafpad and Synaptic -- but more software is available via Bodhi Software Center, a web-based software installation tool.

Sounds like something worth looking into. Here's a link to the Bodhi Linux home page. You'll want to take a look at the links under "About."

I think Canonical should have put out something like Bodhi Linux. There's Ubuntu Minimal, which also seems quite interesting, if you don't mind having to install everything yourself, including the desktop manager and network manager. I found a nice guide at maketecheasier.com: http://maketecheasier.com/install-a-minimal-ubuntu-on-old-laptop/2012/02/24.

That looks nice, but I think something like Bodhi would be a better starting point for me. From my point of view, there's a lot to like. I love using E17 (I've got it installed in PCLinuxOS); the LTS versions are the only Ubuntu versions I normally use; and it's always great having the vast Ubuntu repos to work with. I've got a feeling I'll be adding Bodhi before too long.

No comments: