Saturday, April 7, 2012

lukewarm review

Just finished reading Dedoimedo's review of PCLinuxOS 2012.02.

I have it running here, but it isn't a fresh installation -- it's fully updated from PCLOS 2010.07 (KDE). I added Enlightenment (E17) some time ago, and I go back and forth between using KDE or E17, depending on my mood.

The installation has held up fine; just about everything continues to work well, so I have only a few minor complaints and I see no reason not to continue rolling along with PCLOS, for now.

One thing kinda bugging me is that I haven't seen any upgrades for the Chromium browser coming down the pipe in awhile. It's still sitting at version 16.0.912.63 (Developer Build 113337 Linux) PCLinuxOS 2011. As I mentioned earlier, because of this I added Google Chrome Beta, which is at 18.0.xxxx. But, again, that's a minor issue, anyway. I think the upgrades have slowed down due to the illness of the distro's developer, "Texstar."

Firefox is at version 11.0-1pclos2012, for those who prefer that browser.

Dedoimedo implies that PCLOS has been in decline since the 2009 release. I don't know about that, but I agree with him when he says, "PCLinuxOS is holding steady now." I don't see anything exciting going on right now, but it's still one of the better distros out there, in my opinion.

No comments: