Saturday, April 7, 2012

maybe this year

I don't consider myself to be a "distro-hopper," in the traditional sense of the term. I'm just a "multi-booter." I run a handful of distros here, and tend to stick with the same distros over a period of years; the only two that I've stopped using, going back to about 2006, are Kubuntu and Linux Mint. In both cases, I stopped using them because I felt that I could get the things that were most important to me by using their "parent distro," Ubuntu.

So, I stick with three of the bigger names in Linux -- Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora -- and a fewer lesser-known distros: Mepis, SalineOS, and Semplice (based on Debian); and, the .rpm distro PCLinuxOS, the only "rolling-release" distro of the bunch.

I've only been using Fedora for about a year and half, and Semplice for a few months, but I've been running the others here for 5 or 6 years. That's a lot of distros to maintain, so I haven't wanted to add more. If anything, I think I should cut back to just a few. But all of them continue to run well, so I keep using 'em. I love 'em all.

But there's one other big-name Linux distro that I've been meaning to add: openSUSE. And, I keep putting it off, for one reason or another. Stumbled upon a blog post about it today, openSUSE guide for Ubuntu users, at the Adventures in openSUSE Linux blog site. So, I'm thinking, "Maybe this year." I'd like to get openSUSE installed and running, write about it a bit here, and see how I feel about it two or three years down the road.

The above-mentioned blog post seems like as good a starting point as any, so I'll go back and read over it again, and then go from there.

No comments: