Sunday, April 15, 2012

openSUSE -- very nice!!!

I'm becoming more and more impressed with openSUSE 12.1. Looks like, going forward, I'll be using this distro for a very long time.

openSUSE's YaST Control Center might be the best in Linux:



openSUSE might not be the best distro for someone brand new to Linux, but from what I've seen so far, the documentation is excellent -- always a good sign -- and it isn't too difficult to get everything up and running.

I've run into a few bumps here and there, but nothing that was too much trouble. They've done a great job with the KDE4 desktop, which they have at version 4.7.2.

openSUSE puts out a new release every eight months, and each release is supported for 18 months. The S.u.S.E Linux distribution goes back to the early '90s, when it was a German translation of Slackware. The openSUSE Project came about in 2005. You can bet these folks know what they're doing.

When I was first considering getting started with Linux, back in late 2005, an IT guy at my job suggested that SuSE was the best way to go, but I ended up going in another direction; I took a look at a few live sessions over the past several years, and they looked nice, but I was more interested in Debian-based distros for a long time. I'm very happy about finally getting around to installing and using openSUSE. Very nice experience so far.

No comments: