Thursday, June 21, 2012

how soon they forget

I don't quite understand the attachment so many people have to old GNOME 2.

We've got MATE and Cinnamon in Linux Mint. The former is apparently nothing but GNOME 2 revisited. The latter is a shell for GNOME 3, but tries to look somewhat like GNOME 2.

And now we've got SolusOS. SolusOS 2, still in alpha, is built on top of GNOME 3.4, but it's "heavily tweaked to behave and look the same as Gnome 2."

Well, I'm all for people using what they're most comfortable with. I actually like Cinnamon (I have it installed in Fedora 16), although I don't prefer it over GNOME Shell. And SolusOS appears to be shaping up as a great distro -- might turn out to be better than Mint, if it isn't already.

But with all the negativity being heaped on "the new GNOME" lately, especially in regards to Unity and GNOME Shell, an ironic flashback to 2005 is in order:

I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE. This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do. Please, just tell people to use KDE.

Yeah, that was Linus Torvalds, the "Father of Linux," back in 2005, talking about GNOME 2. LOL!

No comments: