Saturday, June 30, 2012

statler

I like using Openbox, and I like Debian Stable and distros that use Debian Stable repos. Debian-based Crunchbang Linux (whose name is commonly abbreviated as simply "#!") uses Openbox by default. I've been meaning to take a look at it for a long time now, so I finally ran a Unetbootin live session of Crunchbang 10-20120207-i386, which includes Debian Squeeze repos in its /etc/apt/sources.list.

There's a new Crunchbang release in development, so I won't spend much time talking abot Crunchbang 10 (aka "Statler"). They give you Abiword and Gnumeric, but there's an entry in the menu for installing LibreOffice. The default web browser is Iceweasel, and Thunar's the default file manager. Geany is the default text editor -- cool, that's my favorite text editor! Like Semplice Linux, Crunchbang uses tint2 for the panel. If you want a GUI menu editor, they've got Obmenu.

Here's a look at the default desktop:



Hm. Not exactly awe-inspiring, but it's unique, and not all that bad once you get used to it. I've always said that a distro's default appearance doesn't matter much to me because I'm gonna change it anyway, and that as far as I'm concerned they could come with a black background and I'd be happy. Still, it's kind of a downer after seeing Sabayon's default appearance.

In this shot, I've got a few apps minimized on the two workspaces to show their icons on the tint2 panel, and the menu opened up to show the default office stuff:



Crunchbang has their own default Google homepage in Iceweasel:



I won't be adding Crunchbang here, at least not at this time. That's because I'm quite happy with straight Debian Stable, and I like Mepis and SalineOS, which are two other great alternatives when I want something else based on the current Stable.

No knock on Crunchbang, though It just happens that I came to those other distros first, and I see no reason to replace any of 'em with Crunchbang, and I don't think there's any reason to add #! to a lineup that already includes Debian, Mepis, and SalineOS. But it looks like a fine distro, and I'm really glad it's out there.

No comments: