Saturday, February 23, 2013

nemo in f18


I'm happy with GNOME Shell in Fedora 18, but one thing I don't like about GNOME 3.6 is that Nautilus (which is now also called "Files") no longer has as many features and options as it used to. There's no option for an extra pane (something I really like to have), no tree view, no "up" button, and no option to toggle between a location bar and a path bar, among other things.

Fortunately, the Linux Mint folks created Nemo, forked from Nautilus, and Nemo is available in Fedora's repositories.

Besides including things I mentioned above, Nemo has a handy "Home" button on the panel, and the File, Edit, View, etc., menus are located at the top of the window where you'd expect them to be.

Nautilus in Fedora 18:



Nemo in Fedora 18:



Sadly, in Fedora 18, Nemo has no "Open As Root" option in the context menus; I think that's normally a part of Nemo, though. Otherwise, Nemo is a lot more useful to me than the new Nautilus, although I still prefer other file managers like Dolphin and SpaceFM over either of them.

No comments: