Monday, May 27, 2013

hy-d-v1 in 12.04

After seeing this article, I decided to try installing HY-D-V1 in Ubuntu 12.04. The article is about installing the desktop in Ubuntu 13.04, but the author mentions that it's also possible to install it in 12.04.

Looks like HY-D-V1 is another shell for GNOME 3 (others, of course, include GNOME Shell, Unity, and Cinnamon).

I added the PPA with the following command:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:olivelinux36/hydv1-desktop-dev-precise

Then, I installed the destkop and logged into it. When I logged into it, it immediately crashed. There was an option to try to restart it, but it crashed every time I clicked on that. Also, I couldn't see how to get back to the login screen. Finally got out with Ctrl+Alt+prt sc+K (which, on my computer, is the same as Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+K).

Couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I sent an email to Olivier Larrieau, the developer. He was kind enough to reply, and suggested that I run the the following commands and examine the results:

$ cd /usr/share/hydv1/

$ ./hydv

In the last line of the output, I saw:

xdg.Exceptions.ParsingError: ParsingError in file '/usr/share/applications/wally.desktop', File not found

Well, I had Wally installed, but I wasn't using it anymore; I use Wallch instead. So I went to Synaptic and completely removed Wally, then logged back into HY-D-V1. No crash. Problem solved.

There's still a lot of work to be done on HY-D-V1, but it's okay to use right now. Here's how it looks:




I'll spend a little time with it and see what I think. Right now, it looks nice and seems to be usable. I don't see a way to switch between workspaces. Looks like a good start, though. I was surprised to see that if I clicked on the "Hybryde" button on the bottom panel, I was actually able to go into a GNOME Shell or Unity desktop -- without logging out and back in -- and was also able to get back to the HY-D-V1 desktop.

For example, here's the desktop with Unity running. Click on the arrow button on the right side of the screen, and you're back to HY-D-V1.



So that part works even without installing the full Hybryde Linux. Cool.

No comments: