Monday, June 24, 2013

approaching an anniversary

My Sabayon installation has just about made it through a full year. I installed the Gentoo-based Sabayon 9, which shipped with KDE 4.8.3, back on June 26, 2012. The latest release was called a "monthly release," to Sabayon 13.04 (here's the release announcement). That came out in April. The updates I brought in this morning gave me KDE 4.10.4.

There are some people who say that over time the rolling-release Sabayon becomes unusable. That hasn't been the case here; perhaps some people aren't following the instructions given by the devs at the Sabayon site and in the forums.

One drawback with Sabayon is that the updates can be frequent, massive, and time consuming. I use the sabayon-weekly repository. I usually see updates available each Saturday or Sunday, so I bring them in once a week.

But Sabayon has been great for me. I've been able to find everything I've needed in the repos. Sabayon's KDE desktop is perhaps the most beautiful of any distro. Not much bugginess to speak of. Good documentation and the devs communicate well with the users. It has turned out to be one of the best distros I've used. Hopefully, I'll be saying the same things around the end of June next year.

No comments: