Monday, June 17, 2013

huh? QApt?

I don't know who's dropping the ball on keeping the Chromium web browser maintained over at Ubuntu, but I wish somebody would get on top of things. When even the Debian Stable repos have a more up-to-date version, you know something ain't right.

Well, you can always install Google Chrome and use that instead, and not have to wait around for Chromium to be updated. As I did with Ubuntu, I added Chrome to Kubuntu 12.04 by downloading google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb from Google. Getting it installed was a piece of cake: I opened up Dolphin, went to ~/Downloads, right-clicked on the .deb file, then Open With > QApt Package installer.

I'd never seen this QApt Package Installer before, but when that opened up, I clicked on the "Install Package" button.



I was prompted for the password, then a terminal window opened up showing Google Chrome being installed. Quite simple.

I did a search with Synaptic and found the package qapt-deb-installer; then I found this post from 2010 at Jonathon's Blog, which explains that the Muon package manager, which Kubuntu ships with, is based on QApt. Ah, okay.

Anyway, qapt-deb-installer worked as advertised for installing Google Chrome in Kubuntu 12.04. Good to know.

No comments: