Tuesday, July 9, 2013

back to firefox?

Speaking of Firefox, with the way I feel about all things open source, FOSS (free and open source software) or FLOSS (free/libre open source software) or however people want to put it, I've been feeling like I should be going back to using Firefox, and not Google Chrome so much.

As things stand right now, I do try to use the Chromium web browser (which is totally FOSS, and which Chrome is based on) instead of Chrome, but at times I fall back to using Chrome, like if the Linux distro I'm using at a given moment doesn't provide an up-to-date Chromium in its repos.

Several of the distros do, though. So when I'm using those, I use only Chromium.

Anyway, I started firing up Firefox again, sometimes.

Frankly, I still like using Chromium and Chrome better. Firefox is slower, at least for me, especially when I first open it up. I've been using Chromium/Chrome for so long now that I kinda have a hard time getting used to Firefox's layout. And I definitely prefer the way Chromium and Chrome handle tabs compared to the way Firefox handles them.

On the flip side, even though I don't use a lot of extensions/add-ons, and even though all of the ones I do use in Firefox have comparable extensions available for Chrome, the ones on the Chromium/Chrome side, while quite adequate, are really not quite as good, as polished, as the ones on the Firefox side.

On the one hand, I want to be practical and use the best tool for the job.

On the other hand, FOSS is my world. So, more of a focus on Firefox and Chromium; that's how I have to roll.


No comments: