Tuesday, October 4, 2016

ten years

Flashback to October, 2006. I had recently relocated from Phoenix, AZ to Albuquerque.

I was, at this point, becoming comfortable with Linux, although I still had much to learn. I was logging into Windows only to update Windows XP, to manage music on my Sony minidisks with Sony's SonicStage software, and for the boys to play games.

I was still using dial-up with an external serial modem (to avoid hassles with winmodems). I had a triple boot set-up on my main computer, with Windows XP, Mepis 6.0, and Mepis 3.4-3. My notebook was running Kubuntu 5.10; later that month, I switched the notebook to Kubuntu 6.06, my first experience with an LTS release. I added Fluxbox to that -- only the second time I'd installed and set up Fluxbox on one of my systems.

Not long after that, I bought another computer and moved the Windows computer to a back room. Then I gave the Windows computer away; I haven't run Windows at home since.

Today, I have five working notebooks/laptops, each running one or more of the following Linux distributions: Debian 8 "Jessie"; Arch Linux; Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus"; openSUSE "Leap" 42.1; BunsenLabs "Hydrogen"; and, MX-15. Installed desktop environments/window managers/shells include: Xfce, GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, LXDE, Unity, Cinnamon, Openbox, and Fluxbox.

After 10+ years or running Linux, I'm still learning. I still haven't even tried Slackware, although I may get around to that distro someday.

And I don't miss Windows. Not one bit.

No comments: