Monday, November 28, 2016

again, the gecko - leap 42.2

I replaced openSUSE "Leap" 42.1 with a fresh installation of the newly released 42.2 (I downloaded openSUSE-Leap-42.2-DVD-x86_64.iso). openSUSE no longer offers a live session iso; there's a full, DVD-sized installation iso, well over 4 GB, and a network installation iso (see: https://software.opensuse.org/422/en).


I went with a fresh installation instead of an in-place upgrade. Desktop choices offered by the installer: KDE, GNOME, Server (Text Mode), Xfce, Minimal X Window, and Enlightenment. I chose the KDE Plasma desktop, which is at version 5.8.3 in openSUSE 42.2.

After about 30 minutes with the excellent openSUSE installer, I booted into KDE Plasma 5, in Folder View:


Nice, but of course I had to come up with my own setup:



As with the previous release, the KDE installation of openSUSE 42.2 provides a login option for the IceWM window manager, for when you're in the mood for a lightweight setup:


I'll probably add Fluxbox eventually, but there's enough to explore in the KDE and IceWM setups to keep me happy for now.

I was reluctant to replace 42.1; that release was working great for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I enjoy doing Linux installations, so I took the plunge, and openSUSE 42.2 hasn't disappointed. openSUSE is still one of the best Linux distros out there.

The release has a support life cycle of about 18 months, but the next Leap release is expected in November 2017.


Jesse Smith's review of openSUSE 42.2 at DistroWatch: https://www.distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20161128#opensuse

No comments: