Monday, March 13, 2017

"go-to" file manager?

SpaceFM has been my go-to Linux file manager for some years now, but recently I noticed that the spacefm package has been moved from Arch's Community repo to the AUR. It seems that SpaceFM development may have ceased. I'm thinking that it might be time for me to look for another go-to file manager.

I can get along fine with just about any file manager. I can use mc (Midnight Commander), and there's always the command line. GUI File Managers like Dolphin, Thunar, Nautilus, Nemo, PCManFM, those are all nice, but I do prefer something that isn't tied in with any particular desktop environment.

Double Commander might be just what I'm looking for. I found GTK and Qt versions in the Debian and Arch repos. I wouldn't describe Double Commander as a thing of beauty, but after using it for a little while, I'm finding myself wondering why I wasn't using it all along.

Double Commander in Openbox in Antergos

A couple of articles about Double Commander, with screenshots:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/dual-panel-file-manager-double-commander/
http://www.tuxarena.com/2014/03/double-commander-yet-another-twin-panel-fm/

No comments: