Tuesday, October 17, 2017

deuterium

I have a Compaq Presario CQ57 notebook that doesn't seem to play nicely with any 64-bit Linux installation I try on it. This old notebook has only 2 GB RAM, so I thought maybe it would work better with a 32-bit system.

To test this, I downloaded the 32-bit version of the latest BunsenLabs release, codenamed "Deuterium" (bl-Deuterium-i386_20170429.iso). The Jessie-based Deuterium is the same release that good ol' Dedoimedo ripped to shreds in this review.

Here's a shot from the live session, with the desktop right-click menu opened up:


And here's what the fresh installation looked like:


Doing the installation was a breeze, and Deuterium performed like a champ on this hardware, My intent was to keep just about everything at the defaults, but I've been having so much fun playing around with BunsenLabs and Openbox that I couldn't help but tweak a few things and customize the desktop a little more to my tastes:




I think that BunsenLabs is a great little distro, and I'm anxiously awaiting the Stretch-based release (codename: "Helium"). For another reviewer's take on this distro, see: http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/linuxandubuntu-review-of-bunsenlabs-linux

No comments: