Monday, March 8, 2010

laptops, etc.

I'm noticing that more and more people prefer laptops (or notebooks or netbooks or other portable computers) over desktop PCs.

I have a few reasons for preferring a PC. A friend of mine points out that his laptop is just as powerful as a PC; but I know that I can get a better PC than laptop for the same amount of money.

You do pay for the portability and for "the cool factor."

I don't need to carry my computer around with me. I don't mind if I have to go to the room where my computer is to get online, instead of being able to get online from anywhere in the house. I figure that if things get to that point, maybe I need to get away from the computer for awhile!

I already have a dang cell phone that's pretty much turned into an appendage. Isn't that enough?

So, I also have no need for a wireless router.

I like the big, old, PC boxes. I can get my hands into 'em, to be able to easily swap out hard drives and other parts.

I like that I can easily swap out my keyboard if I spill a drink on it. I can have a drink sitting near my computer and not stress out over it.

I like keeping my computer safe at home instead of taking a laptop out and having to concern myself with keeping it protected.

I like keeping things as simple as possible, sometimes.

Unless and until laptops and notebooks become very, very inexpensive, I'm going to stick with my old PCs. Why not?

No comments: