Thursday, July 29, 2010

lucid

I added Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) to my multi-boot set-up.

I had to download the alternate cd .iso because the main version overwrites the MBR upon installation, and I wanted to continue using Mepis 8's grub to boot all of my distros instead of Lucid's grub2.

I think I've fallen in love with Lucid. I seem to prefer the Ubuntu menu set-up over Mints fine main menu. Lucid took a bit longer than Linux Mint Isadora to install and perhaps to set up, but I think it's worth the extra effort (total installation time for Lucid was about half an hour here).

The "window-buttons-on-the-left" controversy? Not an issue here. In fact, I think that I prefer having them on the left.

After playing around in GNOME for about a day, I decided to add LXDE in Lucid. That worked out well, so I went ahead and set up Openbox (which LXDE brings in). Using Openbox right now. I'm using fbpanel with it.
Just to be consistent, I moved the window buttons in LXDE and in Openbox over to the left.

Wonderful experience! Both Isadora and Lucid look very nice, but I think that I'll be using Lucid more than Isadora. I'm considering adding Fluxbox to Isadora (I normally use Xfce in Mepis).

So, right now, I have Mepis 8 and Mint 5 (Elyssa) on my 1st hard drive, and Mint 9 (Isadora) and Ubuntu Lucid on my second drive. I think that when Debian Squeeze moves to "stable" I'll end up having Mepis 10 (or whatever it will be called) and Debian Squeeze on the 1st drive and Isadora and Lucid on the second. If so, all four distros could remain in place for a few years; and, I'd still have room to tinker with another distro or two (Crunchbang, maybe? Pardus?) if I get bored and have time.

My Openbox menu, showing the Openbox menu (accessed from the desktop):


No comments: