Wednesday, June 8, 2011

fedora 15 kde

Yesterday, I downloaded the CD .iso of Fedora 15 (KDE spin) and installed it.

The installation itself went quickly -- a matter of minutes -- but it took me a couple of hours to finish setting things up. Most of that time was spent downloading stuff.

Post-installation, the first thing I did was log into Mepis 11, which is the distro that boots all my other distros, and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst so that the menu list showed "Fedora 15" in the title. Then I booted into Fedora 15 and disabled SELinux.

I had to run the following command to be able to access any files not on the Fedora partitions:

#usermod -u 1000 -g 100 steve

Then I ran KPackageKit to update the system. There were 145 updates available.

Next, I added mount points for all of my other partitions, and edited /etc/fstab accordingly. Then I installed Yumex, LibreOffice Calc, and LibreOffice Writer.

Fedora 15 came with only Konqueror for web browsing, so I installed Chromium. First I installed wget, then I ran the following commands to install Chromium:

$ su
# cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
# wget http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/spot/chromium/fedora-chromium.repo
# cd
# yum install chromium

I set up Chromium; then I added a color user prompt for the terminal by adding the following to ~/.bashrc:

PS1='\[\e[1;32m\]\u[\w]\\$ \[\e[0m\]'

As in Fedora 14, in Fedora 15 I didn't like the appearance of the analog clock widget.  I went to Workspace Appearance > Desktop Theme and clicked on “Get New Themes...”  Then I searched for “Glassified” and installed it.  Then, in  Workspace Appearance > Desktop Theme > Details tab, I changed the analog clock to the Glassified Analog Clock theme.

I installed the Smooth Tasks widget, which I prefer to use instead of the Task Manager widget. Installed my favorite image viewer, Geeqie. Finished personalizing the desktop, including turning on desktop effects and getting those set up, then used the following procedure for Flash for Chromium (using the instructions from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash):

First, I selected "YUM for Linux" from the Adobe page.  This downloaded adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm . Then I ran the following commands:

steve[~/Downloads]$ su -c 'rpm -ivh adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm'

steve[~/Downloads]$ su -c 'rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux'

steve[~/Downloads]$ su -c 'yum install nspluginwrapper alsa-plugins-pulseaudio flash-plugin'

steve[~/Downloads]$ su

[root@steve Downloads]# ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so

My desktop:


No comments: