Sunday, June 3, 2012

fedora 17


I downloaded the Fedora 17 (KDE) live CD .iso (Fedora-17-i686-Live-KDE.iso), used UNetbootin to put it on a flash drive, took a look at a live session, then did a hard drive installation. The default desktop, post-installation, looked like this:



And after some tweaking:



In Fedora 17, KDE is at version 4.8.3. Konqueror is the default web browser; I installed Google Chrome Stable. The default front-end for yum is Apper; I installed Yumex.

I added Geany to use instead of KWrite for text editing.

Under the "Office" sub-menu, I found Calligra Words, Calligra Words, Calligra Sheets, and Calligra Stage (word processor, spreadsheets, presentation). Calligra has replaced KOffice, I guess. I haven't used those apps yet, so I installed LibreOffice Writer and LibreOffice Calc.

Looks like in KDE 4.8.3 there's no longer a Smooth Tasks widget, which I preferred to use on my panel in earlier versions instead of the Task Manager widget. Instead, there's the Icon-Only Task Manager widget, which I'm using instead of the default Task Manager widget. Perhaps Icon-Only Task Manager is simply Smooth Tasks under a new name.

I set up my screen edges to show the desktop grid when the cursor hits the upper-left corner, and to present all windows from all workspaces when the cursor hits the lower-left corner.

Desktop grid:



Present all windows:



Looks like another quality release from Fedora! Everything looks great so far.

No comments: