Thursday, February 14, 2013

a glance at chakra


Taking a look at a live session of Chakra GNU/Linux 2013.02 (Benz).

Chakra originates in Germany, and is an independent distro originally forked from Arch. The latest release comes with KDE 4.10. Here's what the desktop looks like when you first fire up the live session:




They include the Rekonq web browser, with Duck Duck Go as the default search engine. Calligra is the default office suite.

I burned a live DVD using Brasero in Ubuntu 12.04; had no problems running the live session on my Compaq notebook.




Not sure yet about adding Chakra to one of my multi-boot set-ups, as I've got a lot going on and I'm very happy with the distros I'm running now. But Chakra does look like a very interesting distro, and it doesn't look like it would be difficult or too time-consuming to get up and running with it.

Chakra is called a "half-rolling" distro. For more information, check out their very nice website: http://chakra-linux.org/index.html

No comments: