Tuesday, May 18, 2010

divisions

At the Debian User Forums, folks rarely let pass an opportunity to bash Ubuntu.

Ubuntu users like to criticize Linux Mint.

It goes on and on. The "best distro" is "the one I am using." The biting comments never seem to end. The crap extends to arguments over which desktop environments to use, as well. An Xfce user must despise KDE and GNOME.

One of my goals when I was getting started with Linux was to become "a Linux user." I wanted to know enough about Linux to be able to sit down and find my way around any type of Linux system.

I feel confident that I've accomplished that.

I don't think it matters much which Linux distro I use. It doesn't matter which desktop environment or window manager I use. I've reached a point where, for the most part, Linux is Linux.

There's a reason that so many people love to use any given Linux distribution or desktop environment or whatever. Very often, if you give it some time, you'll find out that there are reasons for you to like it, too.

But a lot of Linux folks don't like to think that way. They'd rather stick to one thing, be on one "team." It's like there's this tribal way of thinking that comes out. You can't be a Linux user, you've got to be a Debian user, an Ubuntu user, a Mepis or a Mint user. You can't possibly "cross over" to the other side and be a traitor. You can't have both KDE and GNOME installed on one system and Xfce and Fluxbox on another. You have to pick one, and only one. Every chance you get, you have to let everyone know why the distro or DE or WM that you use is the greatest and why some other one is not.

This infighting is silly. It's a complete waste of time. Grow up, people.

No comments: