Wednesday, July 6, 2011

unity ain't so bad

I finally got a chance to take a look at Unity, from the Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) live CD.

I'm having no trouble getting around in there, and my feeling right now is that some people are getting all worked up over nothing. It's different from what people are used to, but it's just another look for Linux. It's still just Linux. Folks can choose to use it, or not.

With Ubuntu, I normally only install the LTS (Long-Term Support) versions, so I don't think I'll be installing Natty. I'll wait until Ubuntu 12.04 comes out next year. But I don't think I'll have any problem using Unity. I'll probably do what I always do, though, and add something like Xfce or Openbox.

Here are some screen shots of from the live CD, starting with a view of the workspace switcher:


My first thought about the workspace switcher was that it takes an extra click or two to do things, but I do like the design. It's easier to access than KDE4's desktop grid (see http://monksblog-malspa.blogspot.com/2011/06/kde4-desktop-grid.html) but otherwise it works about the same way.

A couple of Nautilus windows opened up:


The launcher along the left side kinda annoys me; too gaudy, too cartoon-ish. But it's easy enough to use. I installed CompizConfig Settings Manger and set the launcher to "auto-hide," but it also disappears when you maximize a window. Here's the terminal, maximized:


And the terminal, re-sized, with the launcher hidden:


The application menus show up in Unity's top panel instead of at the top of the application window:


A couple of different ways of accessing things in the menu:



Overall, I don't think I'll have any trouble getting used to Unity, but I don't think it'll become my favorite.

No comments: