Monday, January 12, 2015

quite tempting

After playing around with the live session of Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" Cinnamon, I'm actually tempted to install this release. But I'm not going to. I have too many distros installed right now, including Ubuntu 14.04 (which Mint 17 is derived from) and Kubuntu 12.04. Two 'Buntu distros is more than enough, and I don't want to replace either one with Mint.

The Cinnamon desktop is excellent, and has matured quite a bit since the last time I played around with it, which I think was when I had Cinnamon installed in Fedora at one point. I used to say that I liked Cinnamon, but that I liked both GNOME Shell and Ubuntu's Unity more. But at this point, Cinnamon's as nice as anything else, and I see several things about it that would make users prefer it over other DEs.

I see that Cinnamon is available in Debian (Jessie), Ubuntu 14.10, and Arch, and it's still available in Fedora. But I don't think that there are any distros (besides Mint, of course) currently offering Cinnamon spins, so in that respect, I'd say that it hasn't reached the level of KDE, GNOME, and Xfce. The same could be said for Unity, but Unity is still a "shell" for GNOME, while Cinnamon, which started out as a "shell" for GNOME, is now a separate DE.

For more info about Mint 17.1 Cinnamon, check out the feature story in this week's DistroWatch: First Impressions of Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon Edition

No comments: