Sunday, December 24, 2017

gnome-terminal work-around

In Debian Stretch, Terminal (gnome-terminal) was failing to start up. To try to figure out what was happening, I tried running it from a different terminal emulator:

$ gnome-terminal
Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Timeout was reached


None of the "fixes" I found online were working for me, so I installed Terminator to use instead. Terminator, of course, is an excellent terminal emulator, and I have no problem using that instead of gnome-terminal; but me being me, I couldn't just let things go at that.

I noticed that the following command did launch gnome-terminal:

$ dbus-launch gnome-terminal

I decided to use that command as a work-around. I copied the /usr/share/applications/org.gnome.Terminal.desktop file to the ~/.local/share/applications directory. Found the following line:

Exec=gnome-terminal

Changed that to:

Exec=dbus-launch gnome-terminal

Saved the changes. Problem solved.

No comments: