Monday, January 8, 2018

another nice openbox distro

As I'm still waiting for the Stretch-based release of BunsenLabs to come out, I decided to take a look at SalentOS, another little-known Debian Stable-based distro that uses Openbox for the default desktop setup. Here's a shot of the SalentOS 2.0 ("Neriton") live session:


SalentOS 2.0 was released in November, and is based on Debian Stretch. The live session booted quickly and came with a nice set of useful tools, including GParted. The installer looks like the Debian installer, slightly modified. Installation was quick and easy. I found that the sources.list file contained one line for the "SalentOS Official Repository," to go along with the lines for the Stretch repos.

Among the tools that "Neriton" shipped with: Firefox ESR, Thunderbird, Transmission, Thunar, Mousepad, Nitrogen, gnome-calculator, GParted, the LibreOffice suite, the LiveUSB Install tool, lxterminal, Screenshot (GNOME), Synaptic, the tint2 panel, VLC, lxtask, and inxi. Seems to make for a nice mix of LXDE, Xfce, and GNOME elements, along with other open source tools, blended into the Openbox setup.

SalentOS includes the Yanima wallpaper changer, (apparently) created for the distro by SalentOS community members. I found the shell script for it at /usr/local/bin/yanima. The name comes from "Yet Another NItrogen MAnager." Works nicely.

I decided, of course, to tweak the Openbox setup. I replaced the tint2 panel and dock with a vertical tint2 panel along the left side of the screen. I added a few apps, like Pale Moon web browser, Midnight Commander, Double Commander, and Geany, and customized the Openbox menu a little bit. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Applications section of the menu dynamically added entries for all of the newly installed apps.

I'm a long-time fan of distros based on Debian Stable. SalentOS 2.0 ranks up there with the best of any of them, both for live sessions and for installed systems. I'll keep it in a dual-boot setup with BunsenLabs on one of my old notebooks.

Website: http://www.salentos.it/
At DistroWatch: https://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=salentos

No comments: