Monday, April 30, 2018

bionic installed

I installed Kubuntu 18.04 LTS ("Bionic"), choosing the "Minimal installation" option in the Ubiquity installer. "Minimal" is kind of a stretch, turns out, but it's a good way to go -- provides the user with a nice, working system without some of the stuff that might not be wanted or needed.

I ended up with Kubuntu as the second distro in a dual-boot setup with Debian Stretch. I ran the installer from the live session by opening Konsole and using the ubiquity --no-bootloader command. Nice little trick.

The default Kubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop:



After some tweaking, my empty desktop, with vertical/left panel:



Konsole, showing off my neofetch:



I spent a good amount of time messing around with the System Settings, eventually getting things set up to my tastes. I'm running KDE Plasma with most of the desktop effects turned off. I've added a few apps -- Pale Moon, Geany, Double Commander, and some others.  I'm finding Kubuntu 18.04 to be an excellent release, in the live session as well as installed to the hard drive.



No comments: