Tuesday, July 10, 2018

a nice site for testing distros

Here's a link to a site where users can try out various distros online, right from the web browser: https://distrotest.net/

And, here's a link to an article about the site: https://www.ostechnix.com/test-100-linux-and-unix-operating-systems-online-for-free/

I tested it out from my Debian Stretch (GNOME) system, using the Pale Moon browser. The site offers over 100 distros for testing.


I decided to have a look at Linux Lite after reading a DistroWatch review of that distro's latest release (https://www.distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180709#lite). After selecting Linux Lite (4.0), I was presented with the following screen:


I clicked on the "System start" button. Then I had to wait a long time; there was a message telling me that "You are on slot #49." This slowly counted down. Very slowly! Finally, I got down to slot #3, then slot #2.


Finally, I saw the following, with the message that "Pale Moon prevented this site from opening a pop-up window."


I clicked on "Preferences" and "Allow pop-ups for distrotest.net". Then I clicked the "Open VNC-Viewer" button. Linux Lite opened up in a new browser window. A few screenshots:





As the article linked above says, "If you don’t want to enable the pop-ups in DistroTest page, just use any locally installed VNC client applications in your system. The VNC client login details are given in the same page itself."

After I finished playing around in Linux Lite, I clicked on the "Disconnect" button in the sidebar to the left:


At the next screen, I found that I could quickly reconnect and get back to the session that I was in.

Clicking on the "System stop" button back at the site ended the session.

Trying out distros at DistroTest.net is kinda slow on my hardware, but that's okay, it's still nice for taking a quick look at a distro. Great tool to have available out there!

No comments: